Springfield: 417-322-2222
Joplin: 417-624-4258

How Do I Get a Police Accident Report?

Home » Blog » How Do I Get a Police Accident Report?

Were you recently injured in a car, truck, or motorcycle collision? If the other driver caused the collision, pursuing a personal injury claim could help you recover monetary compensation for your losses. To pursue your claim successfully, you will need to obtain a copy of the police accident report. Written by the investigating officers, this report can provide important evidence that your attorney can use to make an initial determination of fault. So, you might wonder, “How do I get a police accident report?”

How Do I Get a Police Accident Report?

After the collision, ask the responding police officer how to obtain a copy of the accident report. He or she will tell you what to do. If you forgot to ask, “How do I get a police accident report?” at the scene of the accident, the following information will help you track down an accident report in southwest Missouri:

How do I get a police accident report in Springfield?

If your accident happened in the city limits of Springfield, the Springfield Police Department likely responded. According to the police department, you can get a copy of your accident report online through Carfax. The police department advises you to wait for three days after your accident to request your report.

How do I get a police accident report from the Missouri Highway Patrol?

If your accident happened on the interstate or a highway, it was likely investigated by the Missouri State Highway Patrol. You can get an unofficial copy of your accident report from the highway patrol by submitting information about your accident online. The accident reports are automatically uploaded to the site and remain there for one year. To request an official copy, you will need to complete and submit a request form.

How do I get a copy of an accident report in Joplin?

If your accident happened in Joplin, the Joplin Police Department likely investigated. The Joplin Police Department reports that you can go to the police station to ask for a copy of your report. Alternatively, you can get a copy online through Carfax. The Joplin Police Department charges a service fee of $2 for your report. If you get it online through Carfax, you will be charged a convenience fee of $5.50. The Joplin Police Department says that you should wait for five days before asking for a copy of the report from your accident.

What do you do if there is a mistake in the accident report?

The accident report in your case is not the final determination of how your collision happened. In some cases, an accident report might contain mistakes about the accident’s location or types of vehicles involved. In others, the police officer’s opinion might be incorrect. If you were given a traffic citation after your accident, you might disagree with the investigating officer’s findings. The best thing that you should do after your accident is to write down everything that you remember about what happened as soon as you can. Include as many details as possible.

Once an investigating officer’s accident report is released, the officer will rarely agree to change the details of the report. While an accident report might include the officer’s determinations, the insurance company will also conduct its own investigation. If you hire an attorney, your lawyer might work with an accident reconstruction expert to help to determine what happened. The accident report is simply a single piece of evidence that might be used to evaluate your claim. Other types of evidence, including photographs, videos, and witness statements might be used to counter the information in your accident report.

Contact the Law Offices of Bryan Musgrave

If you have suffered serious injuries in an accident, you should talk to an experienced lawyer as soon as possible. Contact an attorney at the Law Offices of Bryan Musgrave by calling us at 417-322-2222 or sending us a message online.

Files under: Personal Injury